Affordable Housing Earned Income Disregard (EID)

Many people with disabilities participate in housing programs that can make renting an apartment or purchasing a home more affordable. These programs include:

If you have a disability and participate in one of these affordable housing programs and get a job, you may qualify for the Earned Income Disregard (EID).

The Earned Income Disregard (EID) is earned income that is excluded (not counted) as part of your annual income for rent calculation when you begin earning income or earn additional income. The EID allows your rent to stay the same when you start working. Here’s how it works:

  • For the first 12 months after you start working, income from your job is not counted towards your rent, so the amount you pay in rent stays the same.
  • In the second 12 months, your housing authority will only count half of your total work earnings towards rent.
  • The exclusion period is 24 months in a row. If you don’t work in some of those months and can’t use the exclusion in those months, the months still count as part of the 24 month total. Once the 24 months have passed, applicants cannot get the EID for rent.

Many, but not all, public and subsidized housing programs offer an EID. If you are thinking about getting a job, talk to your housing provider to see if this work incentive is available.