Building Your Assets and Wealth

Next Steps

Learn More

Tax Help

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) centers help people file their taxes for free. Find a local VITA center or call 1-800-906-9887.

Protection and Advocacy

For legal advocacy services for people with disabilities contact Missouri Protection and Advocacy Services. They have offices in Jefferson City, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Fulton.

Enroll in Asset Development Programs

ABLE Accounts

Missouri's ABLE account program is MO ABLE, which is only open to Missouri residents. Learn more about ABLE accounts and compare different state ABLE programs at the ABLE National Resource Center.

To Apply for an Individual Development Account (IDA)

There are Individual Development Account (IDA) program directories at Prosperity Now and the Assets for Independence Resource Center (AFI). Note: There aren't as many IDA programs as there used to be. Some are still active, but it can take a bit of effort to find one that is accepting applications.

To Apply for a Plan to Achieve Self-Support ( PASS)

You will need to fill out a Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS) application, which is extensive. We recommend that you follow up with a PASS Cadre for assistance. Their job is to help individuals develop a plan and apply successfully for a PASS.

The Kansas City Region PASS Cadre (which serves people in Missouri) can be reached by phone at 1-866-592-1755, extension 23014.

To Enroll in the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)

Enrollment is handled through public housing authorities (PHAs), so the first step towards enrolling in this program is to talk with public housing authorities in your area. For more information on this program, go to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website.

To Take Advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

Publication 596 is a comprehensive guide to the EITC, supplying information on program rules, eligibility, qualifying children and other related topics. You can use the IRS EITC Assistant to help figure out whether or not you qualify for an EITC.

To claim the Missouri Working Family Credit, you must qualify for the federal EITC on your federal tax return, and you must file a state tax return (Form MO-1040) with Form MO-WFTC and a copy of your federal taxes attached.

To Take Advantage of the Child Tax Credit (CTC)

For information about qualifying for the CTC, and links to forms related to the CTC, visit the IRS website.

To Take Advantage of the Student Earned Income Exclusion (SEIE)

For information on the SEIE and SSI benefits, start at Social Security’s website.

To Start a Special Needs Trust

The Midwest Special Needs Trust can help you get started with a Special Needs Trust.

The Social Security Administration has excellent information about Special Needs Trusts and SSI eligibility.

Ticket to Work

Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program helps people with disabilities who get Social Security benefits re-enter the workforce and become more independent. The Ticket to Work Program offers free access to employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation.

Benefits Planning Services

If you're currently on SSI, SSDI, or CDB benefits, and you're looking for a job, a trained Benefits Specialist can help you avoid complications when you are working on a job plan for your future. For questions or guidance specific to your situation, you can speak to someone at the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 (1-866-833-2967 TTY/TDD) Monday through Friday from 8:00AM - 8:00PM EST.

Learn more